UPSC exam is one of the most challenging exams in the nation. The Union Public Service Commission had to devise a three-stage examination method to filter out everyone but the most skilled and devoted applicants because lakhs are competing for a small number of seats. Consequently, it is essential that you develop a strong UPSC Mains Strategy to boost your preparation and increase your chances of earning a decent rank. The first and foremost step to clear the exam is to find an appropriate strategy to cover the UPSC Mains Syllabus.
UPSC Mains Strategy
UPSC Mains is the second stage of the Civil Services Examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) in India. Here are some strategies that can help you prepare for the UPSC Mains exam and boost your preparation.
- Create a study plan: Make a study plan for exam preparation and stick to it. Divide your time equally among all the papers. Try to cover all the topics mentioned in the UPSC syllabus.
- Focus on writing skills: Practice writing essays, answer writing, and note-making. Try to present your ideas in a clear and concise manner.
- Practice question papers: Practice writing answers to the UPSC previous year question paper. It will help you understand the pattern of the exam and improve your answer writing skills.
- Read newspapers: Read newspapers daily to stay updated with the latest news and events.
- Solve mock tests: It will also help candidates to manage your time better during the exam.
- Revise frequently: Candidates must revise frequently to remember what they have learned. It enhances the memory during the exam.
- Stay Confident: Don’t worry if you don’t know the solution to a certain question; instead, be confident and relaxed. Go on to the next question and, if you have time, return to it later.
It is crucial that you create a strong UPSC Mains Strategy that will boost your score and increase your chances of earning a decent rank. Remember, UPSC Mains is a tough exam, but you can easily crack it by continuous hard work and with the right strategy provided by BYJU’S Exam Prep experts.
How to Prepare For UPSC Mains Exam?
The UPSC exam is divided into three stages: preliminary exam, main exam, and interview. If one wants to ace this exam, preparation should begin at least a year before the preliminary exam. Candidates qualifying the Prelims exam will be eligible to appear for the UPSC Mains exam. Here are some additional tips to boost your UPSC Mains preparation.
- Analyze the previous year’s question papers: Analyze the previous year’s question papers to identify the trends and types of questions asked.
- Focus on current affairs: Current affairs play a crucial role in the UPSC Mains. Stay updated with the latest news and events and try to relate them to the topics mentioned in the syllabus.
- Make short notes: Making short notes can be helpful in retaining important information. It will also save time during revision.
- Join a test series: Joining a test series will help you evaluate your preparation and identify your weaknesses. Additionally, it will enable you to better manage your time and familiarise yourself with the exam pattern.
- Practice time management: Time management is essential in the UPSC Mains. Practice writing answers within the given time limit to improve your speed and accuracy.
- Focus on answer structure: The structure of your answer is crucial in scoring well in the UPSC Mains. Start with an introduction, present your arguments in the main body, and conclude with a logical and balanced view.
- Read recommended books: Examine the suggested lists of books for each subject covered in the UPSC syllabus.