Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) has gained immense popularity over the years, and as with any combat sport, the safety of fighters is paramount. Various protective gears are used to ensure their safety, including headgear, mouth guards, shin guards, and gloves. In MMA, gloves are essential equipment that protects both fighters during training and competitions.
Why Are MMA Boxing Gloves Important?
MMA gloves are essential for the safety of fighters, as they protect both the hands of the fighter wearing them and the head of the opponent being hit. Unlike traditional boxing gloves, MMA gloves are designed to allow for grappling and other types of holds commonly used in MMA. MMA gloves typically have less padding than boxing gloves, allowing for more mobility and flexibility as per CTN News..
Types Of MMA Boxing Gloves
MMA gloves come in various shapes and sizes, are designed for different purposes, and are categorized based on the level of protection they offer. They are available in four types-
- Training Gloves– These gloves are used for training and sparring. They are designed to provide maximum protection to the hands of the fighter while allowing for a comfortable and secure fit. These gloves have more padding than competition gloves, making them more suitable for heavy bag work and sparring.
- Competition Gloves – These gloves are used during competitions. They are designed to provide minimal padding to the knuckles, allowing for faster and more brutal strikes. Competition gloves are lighter and more compact than training gloves, allowing for better hand speed and agility.
- Hybrid Gloves – They are designed to be a combination of training and competition gloves offering the protection of training gloves while also allowing for the speed and agility of competition gloves—many fighters like these MMA gloves for the dual benefits they deliver.
- Sparring Gloves – These gloves are designed for sparring and are usually heavier and more padded than training gloves. They offer more protection to the fighter’s hands and are ideal for controlled sparring sessions.
Buying The Right MMA Boxing Gloves
Purchasing suitable MMA gloves is essential to ensure the safety and comfort of the fighter. Here are some factors to consider:
- Size – MMA boxing gloves come in different sizes, and choosing the right size is crucial. It is essential to measure the circumference of the hand and choose a glove size accordingly. Gloves that are too small can cause hand injuries, while gloves that are too big can hinder hand movements.
- Material – They are made of different materials, including leather, synthetic leather, and vinyl. Leather gloves are more durable and comfortable, while synthetic gloves are less expensive but may only last for a while.
- Padding – The amount of padding in MMA gloves varies depending on the type of gloves. Training gloves typically have more padding, while competition gloves have minimal padding. Choosing a glove that offers the right amount of protection for the intended use is essential.
With the wide variety of MMA gloves available, fighters can find the perfect gloves to suit their needs and preferences. These gloves come with different closure systems, including Velcro and lace-up. Velcro gloves are more convenient and easier to put on and take off, while lace-up gloves offer a tighter and more secure fit.